The second games of the EuroCup Women semifinals tip off on Thursday. Here is what to expect before the Finals begin next week.
All games can be streamed for free on FIBA’s YouTube channel.
Nadezhda (Russia) vs. Familia Schio (Italy)
- When — Thursday, March 28, at 10 a.m. ET.
- Game 1 result — Nadezhda won 67-61
- Notable WNBA players — Nadezhda has Brionna Jones (Sun) and Erica Wheeler (Fever). Familia Schio has Jantel Lavender (Sparks) and Allie Quigley (Sky).
- Notes — After last Thursday’s close win, this series can still go either way. One player who will need to step up in Game 2 is French center Sandrine Gruda, who only scored five points in the first game of the semifinals despite playing 23 minutes. Gruda has averaged 28.1 minutes per game in EuroCup Women play so far and 11.4 points per game in EuroLegue Women, so this is a good time for her to step up. For Nadezhda, Brionna Jones averaged a double-double in points and rebounds in both EuroLeague and EuroCup Women this season. If Jones repeats her dominant performance in Game 1, Nadezhda should find themselves in the Finals.
BLMA (France) vs. Girona (Spain)
- When — Thursday, March 28, at 3 p.m. ET.
- Quarterfinals result — BLMA won 69-66
- Notable WNBA players — BLMA has Sami Whitcomb (Storm) and Endy Miyem (Lynx). Girona has Gabby Williams (Sky).
- Notes — Though BLMA won on the road last week, they also allowed Girona to make a furious comeback in the fourth quarter. Girona will have to win this game by four points to advance to the Finals, but they should feel very good about their comeback in the first game. BLMA’s Sami Whitcomb and Girona’s Gabby Williams didn’t have strong performances last week, but they have otherwise played well overseas this season. Expect both to make big efforts in an exciting and close game.