The first games of the EuroCup Women semifinals tip off on Thursday afternoon. Here’s what to expect and a preview of the final two series.
Will the competition be decided like the quarterfinals with just two games?
Yes. There are two games in the quarterfinals, which will be decided in a home-and-home format. The team with the most points after both games advances.
Though it rarely happens, it’s possible that there is a tie after regulation in the first game. If so, the first game ends in a tie. There is only an overtime at the end of regulation of the second game if both teams end up with the same aggregate score.
How can I watch the games?
All games can be streamed for free on FIBA’s YouTube channel.
BLMA (France) vs. Girona (Spain)
- When — Game 1 on Thursday, March 21, at 3 p.m. ET.; Game 2 on Thursday, March 28 at 3 p.m. ET.
- Quarterfinals result — BLMA defeated Bourges Basket and Girona defeated Lyon.
- Notable WNBA players — For BLMA, Samantha Whitcomb (Storm) and Endy Miyem (Lynx) are familiar faces. Girona has Gabby Williams (Sky).
- Notes — Girona got a boost before the quarterfinals by signing Williams on Feb. 22. She is averaging 16.5 points and 5 rebounds per game in EuroCup play since coming to Girona. It will still be a challenge for Girona though, considering that Whitcomb and BLMA have won all but one game in EuroCup play since the group stage this season.
Nadezhda (Russia) vs. Famila Schio (Italy)
- When — Game 1 on Thursday, March 21, at 3:30 p.m. ET., Game 2 on Thursday, March 28 at 10 a.m. ET.
- Quarterfinals result — Nadezhda defeated Perfumerias Avenida and Familia Schio defeated Cukurova.
- Notable WNBA players — Nadezhda has Brionna Jones (Sun) and Erica Wheeler (Fever). Familia Schio has Jantel Lavender (Sparks) and Allie Quigley (Sky) on their side.
- Notes — Unlike BLMA and Girona, these two teams were relegated from EuroLeague Women after they finished in the lower half of group stage play. However, both teams are looking to finish their European seasons on a strong note. Quigley averaged 15.7 points per game for Famila Schio in EuroLeague Women play and 14.5 points per game in the EuroCup Women quarterfinals. She is the highest-profile WNBA player in this series and could finish the spring with a continental trophy in hand.