March Madness is just around the corner, and the start of the new WNBA season won’t be far behind. It’s a perfect time for you to join our team at Swish Appeal and help us give women’s basketball the quality coverage fans deserve.
Swish Appeal is hiring a contributor to help with game previews, next-day game analysis, team previews, season previews, off-court news and analysis, breaking news, and other features as necessary. Contributors should be able to commit to one story per week and be prepared to pitch one story idea per week to the site manager for approval.
Our best contributor candidates will:
- Have a passion for women’s hoops and already be familiar with SB Nation’s voice and standards.
- Be able to channel that passion into competent arrangements of words consistent with AP Style and the Swish Appeal Style Guide that effectively communicate their ideas.
- Have a familiarity with existing coverage in the women’s hoops space.
- Be familiar with women’s basketball at various levels, including collegiate (NCAAW), professional (WNBA) and international (FIBA, Olympics)
- Take genuine pride in their writing, discussions and how they gather facts and data to back them up.
- Be willing to diligently source attribution for ideas, quotes, etc.
- Be comfortable working in a remote environment.
- You are an active member of one of our communities who submits FanPosts or FanShots or are very interested in figuring out how the site operates and communicates.
- You are active on Twitter and/or Facebook, spending time looking for fresh news and analysis of your team.
- You enjoy discussing your team on our website(s) and want to enrich the discussion in our comments.
- You are a self-starter, someone who can take initiative with respective tasks.
This is a part-time, remote contractor role compensated with a monthly stipend.
How to apply:
Deadline: Wednesday, Feb. 27, by 11:59 p.m. ET
Please submit a resume detailing any previous writing experience, a cover letter explaining why you’re the best candidate for the role, and a women’s basketball-related writing sample via our Vox Media Careers page. You will not be considered for this role if you do not submit all three items.
If you have questions about this role, the application process, Swish Appeal, or SB Nation in general, please contact Jeanna Thomas, talent manager for team brands, at email@example.com.
Swish Appeal, SB Nation, and Vox Media are committed to bringing you quality coverage of women’s basketball from a diverse array of voices and perspectives. If your experience and qualifications do not perfectly align with everything we’re looking for, but you feel like you have the potential to thrive in this role, we encourage you to apply.