Welcome to a raucous matinee matchup before a sold-out Storm Crazies crowd in Seattle! Here are your keys to the game and how to watch.
LA Sparks (12-8) at Seattle Storm (15-5)
When: Tuesday July 10 at 3:00 p.m. EST
Where: KeyArena, Seattle, WA | TICKETS
How to watch: Twitter (worldwide) | JOEtv (Seattle market) | SPECSN (LA market)
Injury report: For LA, Sydney Wiese (left knee sprain) is out but she is reportedly traveling with the team. For Seattle, all players are good to go.
Keys to this KeyArena clash
- The LA Sparks have been on a three-game losing streak after releasing two-time WNBA champion Cappie Pondexter, who since has signed with the Indiana Fever. Can the Sparks find a way to jell in whatever way they’d hoped when then sent Pondexter packing?
- The Seattle Storm are at the top of the heap, ahead of the Phoenix Mercury (#2), Washington Mystics (#3) and Sparks (#4). To avoid a continued descent, this is a must-win situation for LA.
- Seattle seeks a 3-0 series sweep. They beat the Sparks in an 88-63 blowout the first time the teams met this season. And in the second contest, the Storm got past the Sparks by nine points. If history is any indication, Seattle will do some sweeping this afternoon, as the Emerald City swept LA in the 2007, 2010 and 2015 WNBA seasons.
- Breanna Stewart leads the league in scoring with 22.4 points per game, and she is sixth in rebounding. LA’s Nneka Ogwumike is right behind her, at seventh in rebounding. Sue Bird has led the league in assists off and on this season, currently occupying second place, while LA’s Chelsea Gray sits at third.
- Players who are due for breakout performances: For Seattle — Jewell Loyd, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Natasha Howard. For LA — Candace Parker, Jantel Lavender and Odyssey Sims.
- All-Star factor: With the eyes of a worldwide Twitter viewing audience upon them, players on both teams will be out to remind fans why their tickets should be punched to the All-Star Game in Minneapolis. Look for teams to show up and for individual players to show out.