The Washington Post’s Doug Feinberg reports Schimmel needed the break to get herself “right mentally.”
“I needed a break, going from high school to college to the pros,” Schimmel said, who went on to explain that she basically suspended herself.
Although it was likely a very tough choice to make, it seems the time away allowed Schimmel to fully recover from a concussion and properly grieve the passing of her grandmother — enabling a freer return to basketball.
“I’m definitely ready to compete and am in shape,” Schimmel said. “I’m more excited to play then [sic] I’ve been in a while.”
Other happenings in women’s hoops
Oh, the humility
Good luck to @WNBA players and coaches as you start your training camp! May your season be filled with injury free and well executed basketball. Hopefully us college coaches have prepared our ladies for success. We will be attending and tuning in, right y’all? RT to show our ❤️— dawnstaley (@dawnstaley) April 29, 2018
Dawn Staley’s “basketball offspring” include reigning co-Rookies of the Year, Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray, both of whom play for the Dallas Wings. She also heated and hatched incoming rookie A’ja Wilson, who will play for the Las Vegas Aces.
Speaking of Gray ...
Allisha Gray (Ms. Graytness, if you’re nasty) is a college graduate!
Skillz & Drillz
WNBA/NBA Skills Trainer Breen Weeks tweeted a photo with women’s basketball players under his tutelage during his 2018 WNBA training camp.
Only way to do it, is to rock w/ people who find a way, not an excuse...so we made it happen! Lotta WORK being put in ‼️ #KNB #TTP #wnba— Breen Weeks (@BWeeks00) April 28, 2018
Cappie Pondexter (@cappa23)
Mistie Bass (@A_Phoenix_Born)
Courtney Jaco (@courtneyjay10)
Arike Ogunbowale (@Arike_O ) pic.twitter.com/Sfgw3lrKSH
- The New York Times announces what basketball fans have known for ages — Doris Burke Has Game
- SB Nation’s Tom Ziller gets spicy, demands Burke be freed from the sidelines and placed in an analyst’s chair
- Arike Ogunbowale, “Notre Dame’s national championship hero” and Sports Illustrated cover girl, will trade in her high tops for a pair of dancing shoes on Dancing with the Stars: Athletes. (She will compete against 2018 Winter Olympic figure skaters Adam Rippon and Mirai Nagasu; her partner is Gleb Savchenko.)
- Rebecca Greenwell, recently drafted out of Duke by the Mystics, has been suspended for the season for undisclosed reasons. Suspension date: 4/27. Happy photos on social media dates: 4/27 (featuring flowered leg cast) and 4/29.
- Vermont women’s basketball coach, Chris Day, resigns following investigation into verbal conduct with players
- New season means new opportunity to refresh your knowledge of WNBA history at the W’s History Hub
- Unearthed WNBA blog postings from 2006 by Mistie Bass ... from the now-defunct ::: wait for it ::: Houston Comets
- Ticha Penicheiro sends well-wishes for an awesome, dime-laden WNBA season
- Holly Rowe considers WNBA reporting to be a “summer passion project”