clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Yellow Jackets swarm, sting Wake Forest late

Georgia Tech could not regain the lead since the first shot of the game, until they took it all to advance onto the quarterfinals. All-ACC First Teamer and the top scorer in the ACC, Aaliyah Whiteside made sure to reach her average in points and keep her teams' hopes still alive to win the ACC Tournament.


Greensboro, N.C. – The second round of the ACC Tournament continued Thursday, March 3rd as Miami opened up strong as they knocked off Pitt while the Duke Blue Devils sent home the Virginia Cavaliers. The match-up between seventh-seeded Georgia Tech and 10th-seeded Wake Forest took place for game six of the second round.

Georgia Tech (18-11) took the win, 67-65, and advances to take on second-seeded Louisville in the quarterfinals on Friday, March 4th at 6:00 p.m. Wake Forest finished its season at 15-15.

"First of all, I’m really proud of this team. We’ve been on a journey all year long," said Georgia Tech Head Coach MaChelle Joseph.

"We battled, and we had our opportunities and in January, we just weren’t ready but were looking forward to the rematch. It’s going to be a very physical game. We’re really excited to be playing on a Friday in the ACC tournament," said Joseph when speaking on the first meeting against Louisville.

Wake Forest’s ACC All-Freshman team member Ariel Stephenson, glimmered during the first period contributing a quick 11 points to Wake’s 25-13 lead over the Yellow Jackets.

Georgia Tech’s Antonia Peresson sunk it in for three as 30 seconds remained in the second half to close Wake Forests’ lead to three, 34-31, as the two teams entered into the third period. The Demon Deacons finished the first half shooting 5-of-7 in three-point attempts while Georgia Tech went 3-of-9.

Georgia Tech’s All-ACC First Teamer and the top scorer in the ACC, Aaliyah Whiteside, averaging 19.4 points per game, did not make much of an appearance as she contributed eight points in the first half.

Quick to start off the third, Wake Forest advanced to a 10-point lead, 41-31. The Demon Deacons held onto their lead all the way through the third to kick off the final period, 54-49.

As 7:00 of playing time remained, the Yellow Jackets approached the Demon Deacons, 56-56.

Georgia Tech took their second lead of the game, 59-56, with a three pointer from Whiteside as 5:53 remained. The Yellow Jackets’ last lead was an early 2-0 when the contest first kicked off, when 9:47 remained in the first period.

"The games that we lost really early in the ACC is because those players make plays. This was one of those situations where we came up, and our players made plays," said Joseph.

As 1:00 remained, Wake Forest tied the game, 65-65. A missed thee-pointer from Georgia Tech’s Peresson allowed them to rebound the ball and senior, Roddreka Rogers made it in for two. A missed layup from Wake Forests’ Campbell gave Georgia Tech the win, 67-65.

Stephenson finished with 21 points for the Demon Deacons. Whiteside finished with 19 points, eight rebounds and four assists for the Yellow Jackets.