Early last Thursday morning, St. Pius X high school announced on twitter that heavily coveted Asia Durr would be making her college decision Tuesday afternoon. The nation’s number one recruit is down to five schools: Duke, Maryland, Notre Dame, Baylor and Louisville.
So in light of that, let’s look at each prospective finalist and why Durr could potentially choose each school:
- Why would Durr choose the Blue Devils? Duke offers a great education. Out of the five finalists, it’s the closest in proximity of to her hometown. They play in the ACC, and have won the ACC in 2010, 2011 and 2013.
- Why would Durr choose the Terrapins? Maryland’s success the last few years, most notably last year’s Final Four appearance. An opportunity to play alongside Lexie Brown – a fellow Georgian and someone who starred for the Terrapins her freshman year. Many experts privately feel that Maryland is in the lead for Durr. And head coach Brenda Frese is one of the best recruiters in the business, and she’s been very active in Durr’s recruitment.
- Why would Durr choose the Fighting Irish? Just moved to the ACC in 2014, could be the next Skylar Diggins. The Irish won last year’s ACC championship and offers a great education. Also fellow Team USA U17 teammate, Arike Ogunbowale, is a heavy lean to Notre Dame -- and per sources, Durr and Ogunbowale would like to play together in college.
- Why would Durr choose the Cardinals? Great coach in Jeff Walz – he’s done more with less than any of the aforementioned finalists. When he gets elite talent, he turns them into superstars (e.g. Shoni Schimmel and Angel McCoughtry). Also, they've just moved into the ACC. But, some recruiting pundits think Louisville is on the outside looking in at this point.
- Why would Durr choose the Bears? Out of the all the finalists, they are the most recent winners of a national championship. Could play alongside Duke transfer, Alexis Jones in 2015.
We’ll all know tomorrow at 3:15pm EST where the nation’s best player will spend her next four years. Because she’s definitely a game changer and will be a great get for the aforesaid finalists.
My prediction is that Durr will shock the recruiting world and become a Louisville Cardinal.
For more on Durr's recruiting process to this point, check out our storystream about her.