We're down to four teams in the NCAA Tournament, with the national semifinals being held in Nashville being held Sunday, April 6, and the national championship game on Tuesday, April 8.
I'm thinking out loud here, but here are some reasons why people who don't have a stake in the race would want to see any of these teams win it all:
- The Huskies have a chance to win more national titles than the Tennessee Lady Volunteers. They currently both have eight national titles.
- This is the third time that both the women's and men's basketball teams have made the Final Four. They previously did the same feat in 2004 and 2011.
- If UConn's men's basketball team also wins the national title (the Huskies made the Final Four as a 7 seed and have been a quasi-Cinderella of sorts), this would be the second time that both basketball teams won the championship in the same year. The first time was in 2004.
- The Terrapins are the underdog of this tournament. They defeated the Tennessee Lady Volunteers in the regional semifinals, and then defeated Louisville on the Cardinals' home floor.
- Alyssa Thomas is arguably the best all around player in the 2014 WNBA Draft Class and can get into "Beast Mode" anytime.
- Of the teams here, Maryland has not been in the Final Four like almost every year in recent memory. Last time was in 2006, when they won the national title, as an underdog too nonetheless.
- Because Natalie Achonwa gave the best rallying cry of all time. I'm just embedding the Instagram clip again.
- Because Achonwa and Kayla McBride have made the Final Four every year in their careers, and can cement their legacies with a title, even though Achonwa won't be playing.
- We even have a FanPost as to why the Irish are the most fun team to promote in women's college basketball.
- Because Chiney Ogwumike is (very likely) going to be the number one pick in the WNBA Draft later this month. If Stanford can beat UConn tomorrow, expect her to be a major reason why.
- If you hate the East Coast Bias that seems to be prevalent in college sports, Stanford is the antidote.
- Because C and R are awesome.
- Because Stanford is a great university, and they can ball too. The N-E-R-D-S video is below in the "More from Swish Appeal" snippet. It's a lot better than the WNBA's music selection last year.
Enough with my thinking out loud. Which team are you rooting for during the Final Four? Speak in the comments below!