According to an article in the Tulsa World, it is expected that Fred Williams will be named as head coach of the Tulsa Shock. The Tulsa World is expected to make their announcement later this afternoon.
Fred Williams was an assistant coach on the staff of Marynell Meadors when Meadors was fired/released by the Atlanta Dream in the middle of the 2012 season. He continued as head coach and GM of the Dream for the rest of the 2012 and all of the 2013 season. At the end of the 2013 season, he was let go by the Dream front office after a disappointing WNBA Finals sweep by the Minnesota Lynx.
This will be William's third head coaching job in the WNBA. He took over as head coach for the Utah Starzz in the middle of the 1999 season and resigned in the middle of the 2001 season.
Williams has also served as an assistant coach and head coach of the USC women's basketball team, as well as head coach fo the San Diego Siege of the defunct NWBL (National Women's Basketball League).
- Tulsa World: Fred Williams to be new Shock head coach
- Sparks Watch 22: Which five players make up your All-Time Sparks team?
- All-Star Game goes to Phoenix in 2014
- Meighan Simmons stood out in Tennessee's loss to Notre Dame
- Sparks Watch Day 21: Which other candidates could be fits to be the head coach of the Bay Area WNBA team?