It's the same old story for the Tennessee Lady Vols: as junior Alicia Manning said after their win against Florida in the video above, it wasn't their best game, they had lapses, and yet they still won by 23 points.
- David Hooper of Rocky Top Talk has a breakdown of Tennessee's 92-75 win against Florida yesterday and describes that one rather surprising problem is that smaller teams have resorted to a tip-and-chase rebounding strategy to overcome the Lady Vols' strength inside.
- Hooper also has a game thread going over at Rocky Top Talk for their today's game against Georgia (4 pm PST on ESPNU/3) today and after struggling on the boards yesterday, perhaps it's no surprise that he sees the post rotation as the biggest question.
- For Georgia's part, SBN's Dawg Sports describes why they should be well-rested for today's game after coasting to a 66-34 win over South Carolina.
- On perhaps a sadder note, Auburn's season - and hopes of actually playing host to first- and second-round NCAA tournament games - likely came to an end with their 49-47 loss to Mississippi State. Aubtigerman of SBN's Track Em Tigers, hopes that the NCAA committee will find it within their hearts to excuse the Tigers' late-season collapse for two major reasons.
Is The Season Over For Auburn Women's Basketball Team? - Track Em Tigers
Finishing strong is usually a prerequisite to being selected for post season play. But who knows? This team never quit and played with heart the entire season.
Maybe that will count for something with the selection committee.
The first and second rounds of the 2011 NCAA Women's Basketball Championship will be held at the new Auburn Arena March 20 and 22.
I just hope the Tigers will be in the field.
- In the ACC, Ben Broman of SBN's Testudo Times laments a poor rebounding effort in Maryland's loss to Georgia Tech, but figures that they're tournament bound anyway.
- Moving to the Big East, SBN's Casual Hoya notes that they wanted Seton Hall today but got Syracuse. That worked out. Barely.
- And don't forget the great work done by our own Ray and DishNSwish on the MAAC Tournament either.
- Out in the Pacific time zone, we're both three hours behind and the Pac-10 is still in conference play with a full slate of games today before next week's conference tournament.
Today is Senior Day at UCLA and Achilles reminds us that the men's game last week in the old Pauley Pavilion - although punctuated dramatically by John Wooden's great-grandson Tyler Trapani hitting the last shot - was not the final game before renovation because the #9 women still have to face Washington State.
Last Hoops Game At "Old Pauley": Senior Day for #9 UCLA - Bruins Nation
Last Saturday was not the last basketball game in the House that Coach built. The honor of representing the four letters in the last hoops game at Pauley belongs to Coach Caldwell's basketball program, Her group of seniors have set the standards for UCLA basketball all season long with DEFENSE.
From the truly mad March Madness files... I don't know... you try to make sense of this...
Eagles OT King Dunlap charged with reckless driving - Bleeding Green Nation
" Eagles offensive tackle King Dunlap has been charged with reckless driving and disorderly conduct for driving his Cadillac Escalade onto the plaza outside the arena hosting the Southeastern Conference women's basketball tournament.