To make sure that I keep this links thing up, I decided to take off on the weekends...of course then it was an upset-filled weekend with plenty to discuss.
We posted a couple of upsets on the site during the weekend, so let's start with previews of tonight's marquee game and work our way backwards:
- Tom Fitzgerald of the San Francisco Chronicle offers a brief preview of tonight's Stanford Cardinal - UConn Huskies game at 7:30 p.m. EDT on ESPNU tonight from a westside point of view. Interesting footnote from his piece: Stanford has been approached about playing in the Carrier Classic next season. Read more >>>
- John Altavilla of the Hartford Courant focuses on the role of the freshmen in tonight's marquee matchup: Taylor Greenfield and Amber Orrange of the Stanford Cardinal; Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Brianna Banks and Kiah Stokes of the UConn Huskies. Read more >>>
- Tim Mulholland of SB Nation's Virginia site Streaking the Lawn looks back at the Virginia Cavaliers' somewhat stunning upset of the Tennessee Lady Vols, calling it an "intensely gutsy effort". As he notes, it's a great boost to being the Joanne Boyle era. Read more >>>
More games from Sunday:
- SBN's I Am The 12th Man has a summary of Texas A&M's rout of Mississippi State in which they held MSU without a field goal for the first 11 minutes of the game. Kelsey Bone had a double-double with 20 points and 13 rebounds. Read more >>>
- Brett Zwereneman of the San Antonio Express-News notes that TAMU's win was coach Gary Blair's 600th. Read more >>>
- T Kyle King of SBN's Dawg Sports takes a brief look at Georgia's win over USC. With the win, Georgia is now 4-0. Read more >>>
- Matt Sussman of SBN's Hustle Belt recaps the MAC action from yesterday, highlighted by Northern Illinois' win over Temple, which he called "probably the surprise of the day in the MAC, men's or women's." Read more >>>
- Curt Rallo of the South Bend Tribune recaps Baylor's 94-81 win over Notre Dame yesterday, with Muffet McGraw quoted as being disappointed with the loss but seeing it as a good learning experience. Read more >>>
- David Helman of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports on Tulane's 65-62 victory over the LSU Tigers. In beating a Top 25 opponent, Tulane coach Lisa Stockton called it "one of her team's most significant wins." Read more >>>
- Jayda Evans of the Seattle Times reports that free throws saved the Washington Huskies from more worries in a 73-67 win against Cal State Northridge on Saturday. In addition to free throws, Northridge turning the ball over on nearly a third of their possessions certainly helped the Huskies. Read more >>>
- Andy of SB Nation's Marquette site Anonymous Eagle notes that turnovers were a problem: Sarina Simmons' 6 turnovers "wasn't even the worst total on the team." Read more >>>
- Seattle U is still trying to find ways to win consistently as they fell 82-65 to San Diego at KeyArena on Saturday. In a somewhat familiar pattern, they were beat by nearly 18% on the offensive boards. Read more >>>
Obviously, I threw in a few games you might not care about and left out a few games which are already posted on the site. Feel free to fill in the blanks by posting links in the comments.