Today is the season debut of the 2012 WNBA season. For some of you, the beginning of this season couldn't come soon enough. For others like me, it is an additional basketball game to tune into while watching tonight's 2nd round NBA Playoff action between the Celtics and 8th seeded Sixers (Go Philly!) and the Kobe led Lakers and KD led
SuperSonics at KeyArena, ok THUNDER at Chesapeake Energy Arena!!!! (OKC! OKC! That arena really rocks the house. Arguably the best home court advantage in the NBA.). But I digress.
Tonight at 10 PM Eastern, 7 PM Pacific the Seattle Storm battles the Los Angeles Sparks at KeyArena, continuing on a long rivalry between these Western Conference powers. You can see the game on NBA TV, but if you're in LA, turn on to KDOC-TV and for Seattle turn on KONG-TV to see the game because NBA TV will probably be blacked out the broadcast there. Check your local cable/satellite/fiber TV provider for channel numbers.
Preview Links and More:
- From LASparks.com
- From WNBA.com
- Here's an overall Storm Preview from Stormbasketball.com.
- And here's a Storm Pump Up Commercial for the Storm Crazies Out There. Nice Aggressive Video. Really.
For Seattle, we will get to see how the team can cope without Lauren Jackson, as she prepares to lead the Australian national team to a gold medal in the Olympics. The easy thing to say is that Sue Bird will be carrying the team like she did last year. I agree, but no one player can carry a team in a 12 team league when virtually every team has a legit all star player, and perhaps more. I am interested to see how Tina Thompson fits in now that she just joined the Sparks' biggest rival (how is that going to go with LA fans), and how rookie Shekinna Stricklen fits in and makes an impact. After all, she is who the team ultimately traded for in the Swin Cash deal.
For LA, the Sparks have definitely acquired a lot of talent. First, I want to see how Nneka Ogwumike plays against one of the WNBA's perennial powers. Second, I want Candace to stay healthy for the whole year. Third, the Sparks have three former Mystics in Alana Beard, Nicky Anosike, and Marissa Coleman. I know Marissa is back with Kristi for a Terp reunion, but I want to see how they do in Carol Ross' system. I hope they all do real well this season, and it starts tonight on the road, against Seattle which has the most crazy fan base in the league (hence the name Storm Crazies).
How do I comment if I'm not at a computer?
There are many ways to comment.
- If you have a smartphone, just type swishappeal.com and you should be led to the mobile site. Quickest way to get comments in, but you'll have to refresh the site as new comments are not posted in real time like you normally do on the desktop site.
- If you have an iPhone, download the free SB Nation app from the App Store. It will let you post comments onto Swish Appeal, and any other team specific blog in the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL, not to mention college sports, boxing, soccer, NASCAR, MMA, and more. (Sorry to sound like Billy Mays here). It also looks cleaner than the mobile site. New comments can be refreshed in real time.
- If you have an Android phone, download the free SB Nation app on the Android market. Same features as the iPhone.
Enjoy the game. I'll have to have two TV's on tonight.
Feel free to talk about tonight's game, or anything else in the WNBA, the NBA Playoffs, NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, MLB, or the NFL. It's an open thread!
Which team wins tonight?
Seattle Storm (4 votes)
LA Sparks (7 votes)
11 total votes