It's only the third day of WNBA training camp, but already teams are starting to reveal how roster decisions will be made as they look to pare down to 11 by May 17 (2 p.m. EDT).
Here's a sampling of some of the factors that might go into some of those decisions.
- The Tulsa World reported about the Tulsa Shock revealing the "personal reasons" that made Tiffany Jones (formerly Jackson) a no-show for training camp: she's expecting a baby this winter. But as new coach Gary Kloppenburg said in the release, "we drafted a couple young forwards that can contribute in the front court." Read more >>>
- Jayda Evans of the Seattle Times offers an update on Seattle Storm training camp, with a focus on 6-foot-8 center Lindsay Taylor who is trying to make the roster after being cut in 2006 due to a knee problem. And she might know whether she's made the first cut sooner rather than later: Evans and Kevin Pelton report that Storm coach and GM Brian Agler could be making cuts as soon as today. Read more >>>
- Adam Minichino of The Dispatch profiles Los Angeles Sparks rookie April Sykes, who believes that playing at Rutgers has prepared her for the Sparks' 3-hour workouts. Of note is that new Sparks head coach Carol Ross said that "the team has six wings competing for four spots." Read more >>>
- Odeen Domingo of the Arizona Republic continues his look at the Phoenix Mercury trying to choose from the "...seven guards the Mercury are looking at to fill a few spots that are open in a miniscule 11-player roster." Read more >>>
- Kevin Pelton of StormBasketball.com claimed the title for lede of the day yesterday: "Tina Thompson is indeed talking about practice." Although you probably wouldn't blame Thompson for sitting out a few practices after 15 years of experience, Thompson notes that she doesn't like to be at practice if she can't play. Read more >>>
- Rich Rezler of AnnArbor.com writes about Tavelyn James missing the start of Minnesota Lynx training camp for her graduation from Eastern Michigan University with full support from the team that signed her after she went undrafted. EMU president Susan Martin highlighted James' aspirations off the court in her remarks. Read more >>>
Got a link you found interesting that wasn't listed above? Do share - drop it in the comments.