This version of the Euroball update is going to be the last in this format. According to the site statistics, I'm not getting the impression that anyone is reading these - and these reports take a very long time to type up, particularly the breakout of points per player.
So the most odious part of the update for me to type is simply going to disappear. A lot of this might disappear. I might write about interesting occurrences in European basketball but if you want detailed game reports in order to follow your favorite player, you'll have to go to the sites like Eurobasket.com and Lovewomensbasketball.com that are devoted solely to overseas basketball. In the meantime, enjoy the very last Euroball update...that looks like this, anyway.
Let's do the Euroleague wrapup before we start.
1. UMMC (RUS): 7-0 D, 6-0 E
* Beat Galatasaray (TUR) in the road 71-70 in a battle of undefeated teams in Group C in Euroleague. Ekat remains the sole undefated Euroleague team. Gala led 38-36 at halftime, and by the fourth quarter it would still remain close in a game of All-Stars. With 31 seconds left, Isil Alben missed one of two free throws, turning what could have been a chance to go into overtime for Gala into a one-point deficit. Ekat would get the ball back and Candace Parker would miss a jumper with five seconds left, but Gala's halfcourt prayer from Lindsay Whalen would not fall.
Galatasaray: Lindsay Whalen 22/8 reb/6 ast, Sylvia Fowles 13, Sancho Lyttle 11/8 reb, Ann Wauters 9.
UMMC: Deanna Nolan 20, Candace Parker 16/9 reb, Diana Taurasi 16/7 reb/6 ast, Sandrine Gruda 16.
* Beat Dynamo Kursk (RUS) 77-66 on the road. Ekat led 22-11 after the first quarter but Kursk closed to 38-37 at halftime. Epipphany Prince would score 35 points in this game, virtually a one-woman team for Kursk. Kursk was only down by two points with four minutes left, but they would only score four points for the rest of the game.
Dynamo Kursk: Epipphany Prince 35/7 reb, Shay Murphy 15, Michelle Snow 8/9 reb.
UMMC: Diana Taurasi 22/7 ast, Anna Petrakova 15, CAndace Paker 10/7 reb, Deanna Nolan 8.
Next: Dec 15 vs. Nadezhda (RUS)
2. Spartak Vidnoe Moscow (RUS): 5-2 D, 5-1 E
* Defeated Rivas Ecopolis (ESP) 70-68 at home in Euroleague. The win keeps Spartak tied for first place in Group A. Rivas led 68-67 with 1:46 to play, but Seimone Augustus made a jumper with 54 seconds and got the foul to take the lead by one, 69-68. However, Laura Nicholls turned the ball over on a backcourt violation with four seconds left, giving the ball back to Spartak. Augustus made one of two throws with one second left to secure the win.
Spartak Vidnoe Moscow: Seimone Augustus 18, Candice Dupree 14/7 reb, Becky Hammon 14, Elisa Aguilar 11, Isabelle Yacoubou 6/9 reb.
Rivas Ecopolis: Aneika Henry 15/9 reb, Olexandra Kurasova 14, Katalin Honti 10, Ziomara Morrison 10.
* Beat Chevakata (RUS) 79-72 at home. Chevakata led 57-54 at the end of the third quarter and threatened an upset, but Spartak saw it hrough for the victory with a 15-3 start to the fourth quarter.
Spartak Vidnoe Moscow: Isabelle Yacoubou 16/8 reb, Becky Hammon 15/6 ast, Candice Dupree 14/9 reb, Seimone Augustus 10/8 reb.
Chevakata: Katsiaryna Solovyeva 20/8 reb, Jasmine Thomas 13, Anasatasiya Logunova 13, Glory Johnson 11/11 reb.
Next: Dec 12 at Tarsus (TUR) in Euroleague, Dec 16 at Dynamo Kursk (RUS)
3. Fenerbahce (TUR): 8-0 D, 4-2 E
* Lost to Famila Schio (ITA) 74-69 on the road in Euroleague (see below).
* Beat Samsun (TUR) 78-55 on the road. Fener had this one firmly in hand after winning three straight quarters and coasted to the end.
Samsun: Megan Frazee 25/7 reb, Anna Vajda 10/14 reb, Chantel Black 10/12 reb.
Fenerbahce: Agnieszka Bibrzycka 19/7 reb, Cappie Pondexter 16/5 reb (Angel McCoughtry DNP).
Next: Dec 15 vs. Kayseri (TUR)
4. Galatasaray (TUR): 7-1 D, 5-1 E
* Lost 71-70 to UMMC (RUS) at home in Euroleague (see above).
* Defeated Canik Bld (TUR) 71-56 at home. Ever wonder what happened to Cheryl Ford and Janel McCarville? Well, they're playing in Turkey. I saw the last half of this game, McCarville looked virtually immobile. Gala was never threatened.
Galatasaray: Sancho Lyttle 14/12 reb, Lindsay Whalen 14/6 reb, Ann Wauters 12, Isil Alben 11, Sylvia Fowles 10/6 reb.
Canik Bld: Cheryl Ford 15/15 reb, Gulsah Akkaya 12 (Janel McCarville 8/7 reb, Doneeka Hodges DNP).
Next: Dec 12 vs. Novi Zagreb (CRO) in Euroleague, Dec 15 vs. Mersin (TUR)
5. Famila Schio (ITA): 7-1 D, 5-1 E (up from #11)
* Beat Fenerbahce (TUR) 74-69 at home in Euroleague in an upset. Up by 11 with less than six minutes left, things looked firmly under control but Fener went on an 11-0 run to tie the game at 67-67 with 2:04 left. Danielle McCray would go 4-for-4 at the free throw line in the final two minutes as Jantel Lavender stepped up on defense.
Famila Schio: Jantel Lavender 24/12 reb, Danielle McCray 18/7 reb, Kathy Wambe 16.
Fenerbahce: Angel McCoughtry 17, Cappie Pondexter 12, Anastasiya Veremeenko 12/6 reb.
* Beat Priolo (ITA) 78-73 on the road in double overtime. Priolo (now 1-7) had not one, but two chances to knock off Familia Schio, but fell short in the second overtime.
Priolo: Valentina Donvito 21, Kelley Cain 15/12 reb, Monica Veselovskij 15.
Famila Schio: Jantel Lavender 21/8 reb, Chiara Consolini 20, Kathy Wambe 13, Elodie Godin 12/13 reb.
Next: Dec 13 vs. Targoviste (ROM) in Euroleague, Dec 16 at Cagliari CUS (ITA)
6. Bourges (FRA): 9-3 D, 5-1 E (up from #10)
* Bourges gets a 63-60 road win over IMOS Brno (HUN) to remain tied for first at 5-1 in Group A in Euroleague. Bourges was behind by double-digits late in the third, but came back strong, taking a 57-56 lead with 1:44 left. From then on it was wire to wire, with Emmeline Ndongue taking a shot with 9 seconds left to put Bourges up 61-60. Farhiya Abdi's shot with less than a second left missed, the Hungarians were forced to foul, and that's all she wrote.
IMOS Brno: Hana Horakova 13, Romana Hejdvoa 13, Farhiya Abdi 12, Nicole Ohlde 8/6 reb.
Bourges: Nwal-Endene Miyem 11, Catherine Joens 11, Emmeline Ndongue 11, Celine Dumerc 9/7 reb.
* Beat Mondeville (FRA) 60-59 at home. There's not a lot of information about this game, but the two teams were very evenly matched in this game.
Bourges: Nwal-Endene Miyem 16/6 reb, Catherine Joens 15, Emmeline Ndongue 10/6 reb.
Mondeville: Kristen Sharp 19, Naignouma Couliaby 10/10 reb.
Next: Dec 12 at Wisla Can-Pack (POL) in Euroleague, Dec 16 at Union Hainaut (FRA)
7. Wisla Can-Pack (POL): 8-2 D, 3-3 E (down from #6)
* Beat Tarsus (TUR) 74-73 at home in Euroleague to move to 3-3 in Group A. Wisla was ahead by five with under two minutes to go after being down by 13 but almost let it slip away. Danielle Robinson's jumper which might have put Tarsus up missed with four seconds left in the game, and Wisla got the rebound.
Wisla Can-Pack: Tina Charles 27/16 reb, Alana Beard 14.
Tarsus: Shay Doron 22/6 reb, Danielle Robinson 15/7 ast, Melissa Can 14/12 reb, Delisha Milton-Jones 13.
Next: Dec 12 vs. Bourges (FRA) in Euroleague, Dec 15 at Artego Bydg (POL)
8. Rivas Ecopolis (ESP): 9-0 D, 3-3 E (down from #5)
* Lost to Spartak Vidnoe Moscow (RUS) 70-68 on the road in Euroleague (see above).
* Beat Bembibre (ESP) 63-42 at home to remain undefeated in domestic league play. After holding Bembibre to four third quarter points, they coasted the rest of the way to the win. Nine players scored for Rivas
Rivas Ecopolis: Anna Cruz 16 (Laura Nicholls 7/10 reb).
Bembibre: Britany Miller 10/8 reb, Rita Montenegro 10.
Next: Dec 19 at Tarsus (TUR) in Euroleague.
9. Good Angels (SVK): 15-0 D, 4-2 E
* Beat Targoviste (ROM) 93-78 at home in Euroleague to move up to 4-2 in Group B. The Good Angels went on a 21-0 run after being down by nine. The closest Targoviste could get in the second half was five points.
Good Angels: Plenette Perison 21, Tijana Krivacevic 16, Helena Sverrisdottir 15, Allie Quigley 14, Petra Kulichova 12/7 reb, Miljana Bojovic 9/8 ast, Natasha Lacy 6/9 reb.
Targoviste: Monique Currie 18/6 reb, Gabriela Marginean 17, Elina Babkina 13, Mila Bjelica 12/7 reb.
* Beat Petrzalka (SVK) 106-55. (No boxscore as of press time.) Another romp in domestic league play, with the Good Angels scoring 37 in the third quarter.
Next: Dec 12 vs. Nadezhda (RUS) in Euroleague, Dec 15 vs. Levice (SVK)
10. Athinaikos (GRE): 9-1 D (up from #12)
* Beat Asteras (GRE) 70-51 at home. Asteras turned the ball over 22 times, compared to just nine from Athinaikos.
Athinaikos: Afroditi Kosma 16, Sofia Kiriakopoulou 16, Lolita Limoura 11.
Asteras: Kateria Gliniadaki 18, Dora Panteli 13.
Next: Dec 15 at Olympiakos (GRE)
11. Nadezhda (RUS): 5-2 D, 4-2 E (down from #8)
* Beat Arras (FRA) on the road 70-60 to move to 4-2 in Group B in Euroleague. Arras remains winless in Euroleague, as Nadezha faced no real challenges after halftime.
Arras: Olesia Malashenko 16, Dawn Evans 13/6 reb, Johanne Gomis 12/5 reb, Krissy Bade 11.
Nadezhda: Renee Montgomery 22, DeWanna Bonner 19/12 reb, Zane Teilane-Tamane 12/10 reb, Elena Danilochkina 11 (Kelly Miller 2).
* Lost to Dynamo Moscow (RUS) 88-68 on the road. Nadezha suffered a big upset, with Dynamo Moscow monstrous on the boards with 60 total rebounds.
Dynamo Moscow: Crystal Langhorne 22/10 reb, Nadezhda Grishaeva 17/8 reb, Kristi Toliver 16/7 ast, Tatjana Vidmer 8/6 reb, Ilona Korstin 7/7 reb.
Nadezhda: Renee Montgomery 18/6 ast, Katerina Keyru 16, Zane Temane 12/6 reb (DeWanna Bonner 6/13 reb).
Next: Dec 12 at Good Angels (SVK) in Euroleague, Dec 15 at UMMC (RUS)
12. Dynamo Kursk (RUS): 5-2 D, 1-0 EC 8th Finals (down from #7)
* Lost to Dynamo Moscow (RUS) 88-78 in the quarterfinals of the Russia Cup. Since the quarterfinals consists of a two-game series, Dynamo Moscow will advance on aggregate (159-155). The semifinals will take place on January 12-13. Visting Dynamo Moscow won the final quarter 25-14.
Dynamo Kursk: Michelle Snow 21/10 reb, Epipphany Prince 20.
Dynamo Moscow: Kristi Toliver 30, Nadezhda Grishaeva 18/11 reb, Ilona Korstin 13/11 reb, Tatjana Vidmer 11/8 reb (Crystal Langhorne 5, Laura Harper 0).
* Beat VS Praha (CZE) on the road 66-63 in the eighth finals of Eurocup. The eighth finals are a "best of two" series. Kursk moves on with either a win next week or any loss by two or fewer points. VS Praha tied it late in the fourth at 60:60 but Epipphany Prince would score six points in the final 1:10 to seal the victory.
VS Praha: Alexandra Tarasava 18, Marshae Dotson 17/8 reb, Lenka Bartakova 8/5 ast, Petra Reisingerova 6/8 reb.
Dynamo Kursk: Epipphany Prince 22/8 reb, Michelle Snow 21/9 reb.
* Lost to UMMC (RUS) 77-66 at home. (see above)
Next: Dec 13 vs. VS Praha (CZE) in the Eurocup 8th Finals, Dec 16 vs Spartak Vidnoe Moscow (RUS)
An interview with Quanitra Hollingsworth:
All of Ekaterinburg vs. Galatasaray
|Team Name||Team Country||Game Count||Current Elo Ranking|
|2||Spartak Vidnoe Moscow (RUS)||Russia||15||2096|
|5||Famila Schio (ITA)||Italy||14||1901|
|7||Wisla Can-Pack (POL)||Poland||17||1893|
|8||Rivas Ecopolis (ESP)||Spain||16||1883|
|9||Good Angels (SVK)||Slovakia||21||1876|
|12||Dynamo Kursk (RUS)||Russia||14||1848|
|15||Dynamo Moscow (RUS)||Russia||17||1791|
|16||USK Praha (CZE)||Czech Republic||23||1784|
|17||Lattes Montpelier (FRA)||France||18||1770|
|19||Elitzur Ramla (ISR)||Israel||7||1707|